Friday 9 March 2018

Investigating Decimals

In Year 4 this term we have been investigating decimal numbers.


We have ordered them, compared them and looked at how they change when we divide them by 100 or 10. We even sorted decimal numbers into Venn and Carroll diagrams. To do this we worked systematically along each row, to ensure that we used every number.






 We explored what happens to numbers when we divide them by 10 and 100, using a place value grid. We noticed that the numbers get smaller and sometimes they become decimal numbers.






Last week our task was to measure our body parts and then find one tenth and one hundredth of each measurement. To do this we had to be really good at place value and recording decimal numbers.
Sabrina said ' I kept trying and by the end of the lesson, I could divide any measurement by 10 or 100. It was fun to measurement our body parts too'



Esha said, ' I liked learning about decimal numbers. I used to panic about decimal numbers, but now I am confident to convert them into fractions and I can find one tenth and one hundredth of any number.'

What do you know about decimal numbers?

1 Comments:

At 13 March 2018 at 09:23 , Blogger Welford Primary School said...

What marvellous mathematicians we have in Year 4. I liked the confidence comments.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home